Certificate in Politics
The Politics Certificate offers current and aspiring leaders a practical education to working in the political realm. The graduate level certificate can be completed in one year of part-time study as a stand-alone program, or can be combined with another graduate program, including the MPA.
The certificate has a broad-based curriculum and covers the fundamental competencies of political management. Upon completing the certificate, students will be prepared to work in a wide range of spheres ranging from political consulting to elected
office to politically-based governmental positions.
The core course provide students with foundational skills:
A choice of three electives rounds out the certificate:
- Speech Writing
- Who Gets Elected and Why?
- Urban Policy Issues
- Dealing with the Media
- Women Leaders in Emerging Democracies
- Public Speaking
- Using the Political Process to Effect Organizational Change
- Modern Elections & Campaign Management
*Full-time MPA students must take both GAFL 631 and GAFL 732
- 4 course units must be taken at Fels
- Students with five or more years of professional experience or previous graduate coursework that duplicates the content of a core requirement may request a waiver of that requirement. If the waiver is granted, the student replaces it with a Fels elective within the Certificate.
- MPA Students may only count a course to one Certificate degree
- MPA students may only count a maximum of 2 MPA core courses toward a Certificate.
Disclosure Information Required by the U.S. Department of Education for Gainful Employment Programs
11-1021 General and Operations Managers
15-2031 Operations Research Analysts
19-3094 Political Scientists
23-1010 Lawyers and Judicial Law Clerks
27-3031 Public Relations Specialists
33-3051 Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers
55-0000 Military Specific Occupations
Tuition is charged on a per course basis. Rates and fees are viewable here.
Stand-alone certificate students complete their five-course unit of study at varied timelines, ranging from 2 to 5 semesters. Two students graduated from the Politics stand-alone certificate program in the 2011-12 academic year and completed the program in 5 or fewer semesters.
Job Placement Rate
At the time of this report (January 2013), both of the 2011-12 stand-alone certificate graduates hold full-time positions in the field.
Median Loan Debt Incurred
The Fels Institute of Government will report median loan debt for the 2011-12 stand-alone certificate graduates as soon as it is available.