Social Media Promising Practices, Second Edition
To download a digital copy of this report (PDF file), please click here. Print copies of this report will also be available shortly.
In June of 2011, Fels Research & Consulting began work on a second edition of the widely read promising practices report, “Making the Most of Social Media, 7 Lessons from Successful Cities.”
The first report, released in 2009, provided public sector managers with a primer for understanding what social media is and how it can be put to work in municipalities. In the two years since the field work was completed for that report – an eternity in the world of social media – much has changed.
To provide a substantive update on this timely topic, the second edition of the social media report, "The Rise of Social Government," was released publically in July 2012.
For the second edition, the project team interviewed main sources from the first report and compared findings to find out what has changed. A number of topics are explored further, including:
- New innovations, technologies and tools in the social media landscape;
- The effectiveness of social media in advocacy, policy-making, coalition building, economic development, crisis management and for other specific objectives;
- Management of social media activities;
- Quantitative and qualitative measurement of social media activities; and
- Issues to manage and items of concern for government offices using social media.
The project is advised by Eric Rabe, former Senior Vice President of Verizon and new media technology expert.
Feel free to view the webinar conducted with GovDelivery on these subjects (a review of which can be found here):
Fels Research & Consulting produces Promising Practices Reports that provide public sector leaders and managers with effective, practical and innovative information on a broad range of public management topics. To learn more or view past reports, please click here.