Certificate in Nonprofit Administration
The Nonprofit Administration Certificate offers current and aspiring nonprofit leaders a practical education to running a successful organization. The graduate level certificate can be completed in one year of part-time study as a stand-alone program, or can be combined with another graduate program, including the MPA.
The certificate has a broad-based curriculum and covers the fundamental competencies of nonprofit management. Upon completing the certificate, students will be prepared to work in a wide range of nonprofits ranging from the arts to social service agencies to educational organizations.
The two core courses provide students with foundational skills:
- Leading Nonprofit Organizations
- Financial Management of Nonprofit Institutions or Financial Management of Public and Nonprofit Organizations*
A choice of two electives rounds out the certificate:
- Marketing for Nonprofits
- Fundraising for Nonprofits
- The Talent Toolbox: Managing People in Complex Organizations
- Social and Public Innovations
- Social Innovations Lab
- Performance Management or Planning for Performance
*Full-time MPA students may take GAFL 783
- All 4 course units must be taken at Fels
- Students with five or more years of professional experience or previous graduate coursework that duplicates the content of a core requirement may request a waiver of that requirement. If the waiver is granted, the student replaces it with a Fels elective within the Certificate.
- MPA students may only count a course to one Certificate degree.
- MPA students may only count a maximum of 2 MPA core courses toward a Certificate.
Disclosure Information Required by the U.S. Department of Education for Gainful Employment Programs
11-1021 General and Operations Managers
11-2013 Public Relations and Fundraising Managers
11-9030 Education Administrators
11-9151 Social and Community Service Managers
13-1121 Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners
21-1012 Educational, Guidance, School, and Vocational Counselors
21-1020 Social Workers
Tuition is charged on a per course basis. Rates and fees are viewable here.
Stand-alone certificate students complete their four-course unit of study at varied timelines, ranging from 2 to 5 semesters. Five students graduated from the Nonprofit Administration stand-alone certificate program in the 2011-12 academic year. All of these graduates completed the program in 5 or fewer semesters.
Job Placement Rate
At the time of this report (January 2013), four 2011-12 stand-alone certificate graduates hold full-time positions in the field and one is serving in a volunteer role.
Median Loan Debt Incurred
The Fels Institute of Government will report median loan debt for the 2011-12 stand-alone certificate graduates as soon as it is available.