Certificate in Economic Development & Growth
We are no longer accepting new applications for this certificate.
The Economic Development and Growth Certificate can be completed in one year of part-time study as a stand-alone program, or can be combined with another graduate program, including the MPA.
Upon completing the certificate, students will be prepared to work in a wide range of organizations ranging from commerce departments to independent authorities to nonprofits assisting development growth.
The two core courses provide students with foundational skills:
- Infrastructure Investment and Economic Growth or Financial Management of Public and Nonprofit Organizations*
- Economic Principles of Public Policy**
A choice of two electives rounds out the certificate:
- Quantitative Tools for Consulting
- Development Projects in Cities
- Social Finance and Community Economic Development
- The Politics of Housing and Urban Development
* Full-time MPA students may take GAFL 561
** Full-time MPA students may take GAFL 621
- 4 course units must be taken at Fels
- Students with five or more years of professional experience or previous graduate coursework that duplicates the content of a core requirement may request a waiver of that requirement. If the waiver is granted, the student replaces it with a Fels elective within the Certificate.
- Students may only count a course to one Certificate
- MPA students may only count a maximum of 2 MPA core courses toward a Certificate.
Disclosure Information Required by the U.S. Department of Education for Gainful Employment Programs
11-9141 Property, Real Estate, and Community Association Managers
13-1111 Management Analysts
15-2031 Operations Research Analysts
19-3051 Urban and Regional Planners
Tuition is charged on a per course basis. Rates and fees are viewable here.