Select Past Projects
Over its lifetime, Fels' Consulting group has worked on over 1,400 high- impact projects. This page includes highlights from select recent projects. A more complete list of recent Fels Consulting publications can be found here.
- Job-Centered Economic Development Strategies
is a project with the Annie E. Casey Foundation that identified and examined replicable employer-driven talent development strategies aimed at lower skilled workers and at-risk youth.
- Promising Practices for State Cabinet Secretaries
is a report that explores core competencies that can help these
important leaders succeed in their positions. Based on numerous
interviews, this report features real-life narratives that illustrate
the skills and techniques leaders can use to tackle key challenges and
“get things done.”
- Public Engagement Promising Practices
is a practical guide on the whys, whats, and hows of carrying out a
public engagement session that enables leaders and organizations to
gather first-hand community input on local issues and potential
- Talent Dividend
assessed the Greater Philadelphia area's progress toward increasing the
amount of post-secondary degrees conferred and is conducted in
partnership with local stakeholders facilitated by Select Greater Philadelphia.
- Sustainable Strategies for Small Communities was a project to examine environmental initiatives at the grass-roots level in order to develop a guide of “best practices” for small environmental organizations.
- Graduate! Philadelphia chose Fels Consulting to investigate the financial roadblocks facing adults re-enrolling in college degree programs to finish their education (“Comebackers”) and produce a professional background paper that outlines our findings and contains several policy recommendations to help overcome these challenges.
- The Keystone Principles and Criteria for Growth, Investment, and Resource Conservation were examined by Fels Consulting. Based on our research, we offered recommendations for improving these Principles for future projects in Pennsylvania.
- LEARN Philly is a consortium of 6 adult literacy programs that commissioned Fels Consulting to lead a strategic planning initiative that worked on the development of a clarified, goal-specific three-year work plan in Spring 2012.
- Neighborhoods of Opportunity was a project which examined real estate and human capital development strategies undertaken in a portion of Eastern North Philadelphia between 1997 and 2008.
- The Old York Road Revitalization Group
selected Fels Consulting to partner with them to develop
a realistic revitalization plan for the Old York Road Corridor as it
passes through the Cheltenham, Abington, and Jenkintown school
districts in Spring 2012.
- Penn Energy Showdown, managed by Fels Consulting, was a competition between Harrison and Rodin College Houses at the University of Pennsylvania to decrease student energy consumption.
- The Philadelphia Blueprint for Data-Driven School Reform was a plan to enable Philadelphia high schools to develop the capacity to analyze and use data as a core component of improving student learning and achievement.
- University of the District of Columbia Community College (UDC-CC) Master Planning Project created a non-traditional master plan that helped to shape UDC-CC’s future by identifying short-term, mid-term, and long-range development plans that are built upon the concept of classifying patterns of growth, as well as future relationships, the role of online learning, and other relevant dimensions.